3. August 2012–
Tel Aviv wants you, promising German startups! Read on to find out how you could win a dream ten-day startup bootcamp trip to the high-tech hub…
Tel Aviv – startup hotspot
ICQ, Face.com, Mobli, Wisestamp, Boxee, Waze – all stellar startups that began their lives in Israel. Tel Aviv has become one of the hottest startup hubs in the world – there are more startups established annually in Israel than in any European country, and it has the highest amount of VC investment per capita. Israel reinvests around 4.5 per cent of its output into research, making it number one in the world for R&D as a percentage of GDP, and second only to the US for NASDAQ-recognised businesses.
Israel’s tech exports reached $28.5 billion in 2010, with 391 Israeli tech companies raising $1.26 billion in the same year. Not bad for a country with a population of only 7.5 million.
It’s not just startups – high-tech giants including Google, Microsoft, Oracle and Intel have also set up R&D bases in Israel. The focal point of Tel Aviv’s web and new media scene is Rothschild Boulevard. Just minutes from the beach, the boulevard and surrounding area boast a range of startup incubators, accelerators and co-working spaces, and hundreds of startups specializing in e-security, e-social and e-commerce.
Sun, sea and nightlife – capturing the creative spirit
Like Berlin, Tel Aviv claims a vibrant cultural scene as well as startup scene – work hard, play hard. It’s a perfect town to celebrate closing a deal, launching an app or just because it’s Friday, from hip rooftop parties to beaches, festivals, nightclubs, cafés and bars.
Tel Aviv Global City Startup Bootcamp – the lowdown
One startup from each of nine European countries (Denmark, France, Germany, Holland, Italy, Norway, UK, Spain and Sweden) will win a place in Tel Aviv Startup Bootcamp (14 – 24 October 2012).
During the ten day bootcamp, Tel Aviv Booters will have meetings with top mentors, visit leading companies and multinationals, participate in workshops, and meet and greet with the local tech community at a special Bootcamp Meetup. The last three days of the bootcamp will allow access to the exclusive DLD conference (21st – 24th October), hosting hundreds of creative international leaders, disruptors and thinkers.
Gründerszene and VentureVillage are among the judges for the German applicants.
How to apply
You can apply via a one-page informal letter of application or a link to a two-minute application video, sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The deadline for applications is midnight 27 August 2012. Please see below for the full criteria and prize details – and good luck!
- Startups from ICT sector only
- Germany-based startups only
- Startup must be at early seed stage, meaning its already been successful in raising the first investment and is already more than just an idea.
- Age of participants between 23 and 35 years
- No limitation for size of the company
- Closing date is midnight 27 August 2012
Participation in a ten day Startup Bootcamp in Tel Aviv from 14 to 24 October, 2012, organised by the branding initiative Tel Aviv Global City. The prize includes all expenses for flights, accommodation, catering, programme-related transportation (not all extra activities are covered). Two people from one German startup can take part.
- Meetings with top Tel Aviv entrepreneurs and mentors
- Visits to multinationals including: Google incubator, eBay Social Center, EMC innovation center and Microsoft Accelerator
- Lectures and workshops with leading Israeli entrepreneurs on subjects including startup strategy formation, innovative financing models, business model design, intellectual property, pitching and presentation
- Participation at the “DLD – Digital Life Design Tel Aviv Festival” (October 21 to 24, 2012: A global conference on innovation, digital media, science and culture which connects business, creative and social leaders, opinion-formers as well as investors for crossover conversations and inspiration, chaired by the German publisher Hubert Burda and Israeli digital investor Yossi Vardi.)
- Venue for the Startup Bootcamp: the Academic College of Tel Aviv-Yafo
Your startup deserves this trip to Tel Aviv? Tell us why and apply until 27th of August 2012 via email@example.com